How to Set Up a Dramatic Play Area in Child Care
Here are tips on how to setup a dramatic play area for children to play pretend and use their imagination.
- Select an area away from noisy or active play.
- Equip the area with child-sized furniture.
- Be sure to have all toys and materials within easy reach of the child.
- Check to make sure the child can use the materials independently.
- Include "real life" props such as empty food containers, real bandages etc.
- Include props, dress-up clothing and toys that would be appealing to both genders.
- Add a mirror for children to see how they look when trying on dress up clothes.
- Allow other toys to be brought in as props.
- Try to have more than one of a toy or prop and minimize problems with sharing.
- Add props to suit the current interest of the children. (For example: If they are fascinated by doctors, add some gloves and surgical masks.)